Steven L. Castle
BS, Brigham Young University (1995)
Ph.D., The Scripps Research Institute (2000)
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, UC Irvine (2000-2002)
Our research is focused on the total synthesis of architecturally complex bioactive natural products and peptides. We believe that the structures of such compounds can serve as inspiration for the invention of new organic reactions and processes. Additionally, studies of their biological activity can increase our understanding of their modes of action, potentially leading to the design and development of new therapeutic agents. Some of our recent synthetic targets are shown below.
Additional research areas: Bioorganic, Cancer Research, Medicinal and Natural Products
57. Jalan, A.; Kastner, D. W.; Webber, K. G. I.; Smith, M. S.; Price, J. L.;* Castle, S. L.* “Bulky Dehydroamino Acids Enhance Proteolytic Stability and Folding in Beta-Hairpin Peptides.” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 5190–5193.
51. Cai, Y.; Jalan, A.; Kubosumi, A. R.; Castle, S. L.* “Microwave-Promoted Tin-Free Iminyl Radical Cyclization with TEMPO Trapping: A Practical Synthesis of 2-Acylpyrroles.” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 488–491.
49. Ma, Z.; Jiang, J.; Luo, S.; Cai, Y.; Cardon, J. M.; Kay, B. M.; Ess, D. H.;* Castle, S. L.* “Selective Access to E- and Z-ΔIle-Containing Peptides via a Stereospecific E2 Dehydration and an O → N Acyl Transfer.” Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 4044–4047.
36. Ma, B.; Banerjee, B.; Litvinov, D. N.; He, L.; Castle, S. L.* “Total Synthesis of the Antimitotic Bicyclic Peptide Celogentin C.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 1159–1171.
32. Li, F.; Tartakoff, S. S.; Castle, S. L.* “Total Synthesis of (–)-Acutumine.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 6674–6675.
- Research Innovation Award, Research Corporation (2004)
- Top-50 Most Cited Article Award, Tetrahedron 2005-2008 (2008)
- Long-Term Invitation Fellowship, JSPS (2012)
Associate Director, Simmons Center for Cancer Research
The Castle Group 2016
(L to R): Jintao Jiang, Ankur Jalan, Kei Webber, Steven Castle, Yu Cai, Sia Im, Blake Christensen, David Kastner
Not Pictured: Mary Jackman, Collin Sanderson