Bio Analysis Lab
The aim of the Biological Mass Spectrometry and Cell Sorting Core Facility is to provide top tier data acquisition and sample analysis in the fields of proteomics, metabolomics, lipidomics, and flow cytometry to the BYU community. If you are interested in using the facilities mass spectrometry capabilities, please contact Dr. Daniel Mortensen to get started. If you are interested in cell sorting, please contact Research Assistant Max Beers.
Dr. Daniel Mortensen (Director)
Maxwell Wright (Research Assistant)
Mass Spectrometers: (E150 BNSN)
Flow Cytommetry Cell Sorter: (E267 BNSN)
Orbitrap Fusion Lumos Tribrid Mass Spectrometer
FACS Aria Fusion
6530 Accurate-Mass Q-TOF LC/MS
Pricing and Procedures
These are users prices after university contributions. Prices for users not affiliated with Brigham Young University are negotiated on a per case basis
Use of HPLC/MS or HPLC/MS/MS
$15 per hour for potentially messy samples (such as lipid samples)
Technician Run Data Acquisition or Data Analysis: $12 per hour
* All times are rounded up to the nearest 1/2 hour
Policies and Procedures
This critical post-processing of raw scan files significantly extends the researcher’s ability to get the most out of their mass spec results.
PeakInvestigator® mass spectral analysis software operates on the researcher’s current (or previously captured) mass spec raw scan file outputs, to maximize extraction and capture of the most real data vs. noise, providing up to 5-6x higher resolution with detection and deconvolution of overlapped peaks, and statistical confidence intervals on every peak call.
- Dynamic baselining for better abundance accuracy.
- Locally adaptive thresholding for better sensitivity.
- Up to 5-6x more resolution for better feature extraction.
- Every centroid includes error bars for confident peak detection and extraction.
- Fully automated to eliminate user parameter inputs or guesswork.
- All MS types are supported (Ion trap, TOF, Orbitrap, FTICR; and Electrospray or MALDI).
- Applicable to any input resolution from “unit resolution” up to 1M (FWHM) and beyond.
- Applicable to all sample types, from proteomics to metabolomics, petroleomics, food/ag, environmental and other applications.
- All of this is provided for minimal cost, typically around a penny per scan.
PeakInvestigator post-processing of your raw scan files typically provides visibly superior centroided results that can transform the efficiency of downstream MS analyses and identifications, for less invested time and money.
You can access PeakInvestigator software services within either of these open source mass spectral analysis software packages available in this MS core facility:
➢ MZmine PeakInvestigator Edition (MZminePI)
➢ OpenMS PeakInvestigator Edition (OpenMSPI)
If you are not already familiar with PeakInvestigator, you can request a free demo on your data by contacting the MS core facility manager.