Steven L. Castle
Office: C411 BNSN
Office Phone: 801-422-1780
Lab Room: C449, C455, C47, C494, C437A (all BNSN)
Lab Phone: 801-422-3827
BS, Brigham Young University (1995)
Ph.D., The Scripps Research Institute (2000)
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, UC Irvine (2000-2002)
The Castle Research Group is focused on the total synthesis of architecturally complex bioactive natural products and peptides. The Group believes that the structures of such compounds can serve as inspiration for the invention of new organic reactions and processes. Additionally, studies of their biological activity can increase science's understanding of their modes of action, potentially leading to the design and development of new therapeutic agents. Some of Castle Research Group's recent synthetic targets are shown below.
The Castle Research Group also focuses on bioorganic chemistry, cancer research, and medicinal and natural products.
66. Joaquin, D.; Mansfield, S. A.; Chanthakhoun, J. C.; LeSueur, A. K.; Blackburn, T. A.; Castle, S. L.* “Synthesis and Studies of Bulky Cycloalkyl alpha, beta-Dehydroamino Acids that Enhance Proteolytic Stability.” Org. Lett. 2022, 24, 5329–5333.
65. Lo, C. C. L.; Joaquin, D.; Moyá, D. A.; Ramos, A.; Kastner, D. W.; White, S. M.; Christensen, B. L.; Naglich, J. G.; Degnen, W. J.; Castle, S. L.* “Synthesis and Evaluation of Potent Yaku’amide A Analogs.” Chem. Sci. 2022, 13, 1899–1905.
63. Singh, J.; Nickel, G. A.; Cai, Y.; Jones, D. D.; Nelson, T. J.; Small, J. E.; Castle, S. L.* “Synthesis of Functionalized Pyrrolines via Microwave-Promoted Iminyl Radical Cyclizations.” Org. Lett. 2021, 23, 3970–3974.
62. Cai, Y.; Ma, Z.; Jiang, J.; Lo, C. C. L.; Luo, S.; Jalan, A.; Cardon, J. M.; Ramos, A.; Moyá, D. A.; Joaquin, D.; Castle, S. L.* “Convergent Total Synthesis of Yaku’amide A.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 5162–5167.
58. Jackman, M. M.; Im, S.; Bohman, S. R.; Lo, C. C. L.; Garrity, A. L.; Castle, S. L.* “Synthesis of Functionalized Nitriles via Microwave-Promoted Fragmentations of Cyclic Iminyl Radicals.” Chem.–Eur. J. 2018, 24, 594–598.
Click here for Dr. Castle's complete list of publications.
- Research Innovation Award, Research Corporation (2004)
- Top-50 Most Cited Article Award, Tetrahedron 2005-2008 (2008)
- Long-Term Invitation Fellowship, JSPS (2012)
- Wesley P. Lloyd Award for Distinction in Graduate Education, BYU (2017)
Director, Simmons Center for Cancer Research
The Castle Group 2022
(L to R): Jatinder Singh, Kai-Hang Ho, Jaden Barfuss, Jude-Kelly Osasere,
Tanner Nelson, Steven Castle, Sam Mansfield, Spencer Jones,
Alexander Ramos, Jesus Botello, Tiffani Blackburn, Regina So