Steven L. Castle
BS, Brigham Young University (1995)
Ph.D., The Scripps Research Institute (2000)
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, UC Irvine (2000-2002)
Our research is focused on the total synthesis of architecturally complex bioactive natural products and peptides. We believe that the structures of such compounds can serve as inspiration for the invention of new organic reactions and processes. Additionally, studies of their biological activity can increase our understanding of their modes of action, potentially leading to the design and development of new therapeutic agents. Some of our recent synthetic targets are shown below.
Additional research areas: Bioorganic, Cancer Research, Medicinal and Natural Products
61. Joaquin, D.; Lee, M. A.; Kastner, D. W.; Singh, J.; Morrill, S. T.; Damstedt, G.; Castle, S. L.* “Impact of Dehydroamino Acids on the Structure and Stability of Incipient 310-Helical Peptides.” J. Org. Chem. 2020, 85, 1601–1613.
58. Jackman, M. M.; Im, S.; Bohman, S. R.; Lo, C. C. L.; Garrity, A. L.; Castle, S. L.* “Synthesis of Functionalized Nitriles via Microwave-Promoted Fragmentations of Cyclic Iminyl Radicals.” Chem.–Eur. J. 2018, 24, 594–598.
57. Jalan, A.; Kastner, D. W.; Webber, K. G. I.; Smith, M. S.; Price, J. L.;* Castle, S. L.* “Bulky Dehydroamino Acids Enhance Proteolytic Stability and Folding in β-Hairpin Peptides.” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 5190–5193.
51. Cai, Y.; Jalan, A.; Kubosumi, A. R.; Castle, S. L.* “Microwave-Promoted Tin-Free Iminyl Radical Cyclization with TEMPO Trapping: A Practical Synthesis of 2-Acylpyrroles.” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 488–491.
36. Ma, B.; Banerjee, B.; Litvinov, D. N.; He, L.; Castle, S. L.* “Total Synthesis of the Antimitotic Bicyclic Peptide Celogentin C.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 1159–1171.
- Research Innovation Award, Research Corporation (2004)
- Top-50 Most Cited Article Award, Tetrahedron 2005-2008 (2008)
- Long-Term Invitation Fellowship, JSPS (2012)
- Wesley P. Lloyd Award for Distinction in Graduate Education, BYU (2017)
Associate Director, Simmons Center for Cancer Research
The Castle Group 2020
(L to R): Courtney Dawes, Joseph Chanthakhoun, Alexander Ramos, Daniel
Joaquin, Garrison Nickel, Diego Moya, Sam Mansfield, Steven Castle,
Austin LeSueur, Taylor Talentino, Collan Moore, Dakota Jones, Michael
Lee, Concordia Lo, Jatinder Singh, Tanner Nelson, Jaden Barfuss