Pi Day, Pie Day
June 20, 2023
Happy Pi Day, Cougars! In honor of all things pi and pie, we’ve rounded up some educational (and delicious) videos, facts, and recipes for you to check out.
First of all, we all know what ℼ is. But, what are some unique ways this Greek letter applies to chemistry? Watch the video below for a quick explanation about pi orbitals and bonds.
Pi is also used in many chemically-important mathematical equations. Hückel's Rule, 4n + 2 ℼ electrons, is used to determine the aromaticity of a molecule and is especially useful when studying organic chemistry. You can read more about Hückel's Rule here.
Looking for something a little sweeter? While eating pie is a trademark of celebrating pi day, the actual process of baking a pie involves a lot of science. Watch this video to learn more about the art of culinary chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwPfsCM7zB8
Putting it All Together
So, want to celebrate Pi Day in a way that honors your chemistry studies? Consider making a Hückelberry (or huckleberry) pie. Check out this recipe to get started, and remember to share photos of you and any pie you eat or make to the BYU Chemistry and Biochemistry department Facebook page!
Huckleberries and Chemistry
As your pie bakes, peruse these delightful facts about huckleberries (1):
Huckleberries belong to the Vaccinium and Gaylussacia family.
- Huckleberries are native to the American Northwest and western regions of Canada.
- Huckleberries contain high levels of anthocyanins and polyphenols.
- Huckleberries contain more antioxidants than blueberries.
- Anthocyanins and polyphenols are linked to increased heart health, are anti-inflammatory, and are used to fight cancer.
Cheers to pi, pie, Hückel, huckleberries, and our wonderful students. No matter how you choose to celebrate your Pi Day, we hope you have a happy one!
- “10 Tasty Wild Berries to Try (and 8 Poisonous Ones to Avoid).” Healthline, 10 Feb. 2023, www.healthline.com/nutrition/wild-berries#3.-Huckleberry.
- Biotech Review. “Pi Bond | Π Bond.” YouTube, 14 Mar. 2014.
- Life Noggin. “The Science Behind Cooking.” YouTube, 15 June 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwPfsCM7zB8.
- “Hückel's Rule.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 4 Nov. 2022,
- Wild Huckleberry Pie Recipe - Food.com. 14 Jan. 2009, www.food.com/recipe/wild-huckleberry-pie-349872.